Saturday, April 5, 2008

My Raised Garden Beds

So, with all the free bricks I got a week ago, I built 5 raised garden beds for my Growing Challenge. Here are some pictures of what I did and how I did it...

Here is a "before" picture... This is the garage; the house is on the left, just out of the picture. This is my little "courtyard" area. It gets sun from about 10am until about 5-6pm. This is the best place in my yard for a garden. Well, I think it is, I guess I will find out soon enough!
Here is a picture after I took out the topsoil and that walnut tree. That tree should have been gone when we moved in 2 years ago - boy was it hard to get that sucker outta there!!! I just removed about 2-3 inches of the topsoil and grass. I did this to try and level the ground before I started building the beds. It didn't exactly work that way, but oh well, the plants won't care too much lol. You can also see in this picture that I put down some cardboard. I wanted to make sure that no weeds came up from the bottom. There is about 2-3 layers of cardboard at the bottom of the garden beds.
Here is a little more progress. I've started laying the bricks down in this picture...
The actual beds are built now! Woo Hoo!! I ended up with 5 beds, the one closest in the picture is a little wider than the rest. I am going to attempt corn in that one - its pretty small for corn, but I'm going to try it anyway! The other 4, well, that has yet to be decided... I figure the tomatoes and beans will go up against the garage on some type of trellis. That's as far as I've gotten on what will go where... (any suggestions anyone??)
The beds are about 10-12 inches deep. The next step is filling these in, which I did today. I will post some pictures of that tomorrow.
Here is a picture of whats left from my stack of bricks from last week... Hmmm...what else can I do with these?!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So far, so good. You did a great job. I'm glad I could be a small part (sand) in your finished project. I'm looking forward to seeing the soil in the raised beds.

Patty

Graziana said...

they look nice!