Thursday, April 3, 2008

Other People's Junk...

So, I haven't posted in over a month, but that doesn't mean I haven't been at least thinking about my garden!! I bought the book "All New Square Foot Gardening" a few months back and have been thinking about how I can take what I've learned from the book and incorporate it into my own garden. I am not the type of person to do everything by the book - I normally just incorporate new info into my own way of doing things. (Usually on the cheap lol)...

Well, while surfin' the net looking for cheap, easy gardening ideas, I came across Freecycle. I joined the local group on Yahoo Groups and have since been addictively monitoring the emails for anything I can use in my garden. This led me to start checking out the free listings on Craigslist as well. Last week I found someone needing their brick patio dug up and giving away the bricks. I ended up with 8 trunk loads of free bricks!! There's the free raised beds right there. I love other people's junk!! (Anyone out there trying to give away a free truck? lol)


After building the raised beds over the weekend, I posted a "wanted" ad on Freecycle asking is anyone had some sand they needed to get rid of. I figured I could use sand to mix with the clay and soil and leaves from my own yard to cheaply fill in my new raised gardens. So why not see if I could find some that no one else wanted?? Well, it worked. Two people emailed me back offering some sand (Thanks Patty and Karen!!). Awesome! Now I'm almost ready to start filling my gardens. Did I mention I love other people's junk??!!

I will post pictures and explain how I made my raised garden bed in the next post. Until next time...

3 comments:

Graziana said...

Good idea!
I was thinking to create raised beds with bricks too, but they are too expensive. No Freecycle group in Sicily, Italy...
Post a photo of your raised beds!

Graziana

mom said...

Grant, Those bricks, I want them.Can you deliver the rest to me? I need them to finish my drive.That way when you guys come to visit us you wont have to park in mud.LOL Your gardens will be great. Dont forget to plant Brussel Sprouts. Not only do they taste great, but the plant itself is beautiful.I am so proud of you. Keep up the good work and make Darnell help you.LOL love Mom

Melinda said...

That rocks. Heh - get it? No seriously, that's awesome. I asked for moving boxes from Freecycle the other day, and not 20 minutes later I received a response - half our boxes with one email. I love it!

There are a couple other places to try, too (I mentioned them on my post yesterday). Neighborrow and Swaptree. I haven't had a chance to use them yet with the craziness in our lives of late, but hope to soon.